Beginner Beekeeper

Beginner Beekeeper
My first hive inspection

Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Queen is dead!


Today was a bad day. My second inspection of the hive ended in tragedy.
I want to check the health of the hive, inspecte the super quickly to make sure that bees are capping honey. Then i went to check the brood box to make sure that queen is healthy and laying. I inspcted all frames, never saw the queen. There were too many bees there. But i saw the larvae and eggs, so I knew that queen is there and laying.
After I put the hive back together I noticed a cluster of bees on the ground below the hive. I gave them a puff of smoke to disoerse them, and there she was. The Queen was layin there, crushed. I must have hurt her when removing the frames or putting them back. Horrible beginers mistake. That is the last time I wear gloves during brood box inspection

No comments:

Post a Comment