Beginner Beekeeper

Beginner Beekeeper
My first hive inspection

Monday, April 11, 2011

Warre buildup continues, strange activity around queenless hive

The comb buildup in the Warre hive is coming nicely. The top hive is built up and activity moved to the lower hive. The bees are drawing the comb in the center 4 or 5 top bars







There was a lot of strange activity yesterday when we came to the bee yard. The bees were really active around the queenless hive. They were also quite aggressive. I thought that they were ready to swarm, which did not make sense since they had no queen 3 weeks ago.


I smoked them and opened the hive. There was no sign of a queen, no eggs, and one possible empty queen cell
The bees quieted down after my disturbance.

I was able to capture a bee burial. I did not know that bees would go to such lengths to clean the hive. The bee dragged her dead comrade at least 2 or 3 feet from the hive.


No comments:

Post a Comment